Heathrow has won ‘Best arrivals experience’ at this year’s Future Travel Experience Awards, held in Vancouver on Friday 7th September.
Now in its 2nd year, the awards celebrate outstanding efforts by organisations which have gone the extra mile to improve the passenger experience. The UK’s only hub airport was rewarded for the welcome it gave visitors during the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games.
Along with 1,000 community volunteers recruited by Heathrow to welcome the Games Family and provide assistance, special activities at the airport included:
· Appearances by the iconic Beefeaters, London 2012 mascots and Queen’s Guards in each terminal
· Installation of 12 metre wide Olympic Rings to welcome passengers in Terminal 5 arrivals
· Performances by the London Philharmonic and Salvation Army Brass Band
· The launch of Usain Bolt’s wax figure in Terminal 5 courtesy of Madame Tussauds
· An exclusive performance of Vangelis’ Chariots of Fire on a grand piano by Myleene Klass
· Table tennis tables brought in for passengers to try their hand at the Olympic sport
· Olympic art exhibitions held in Terminal 5’s expo
· Television screens installed across the terminal to ensure that passengers didn’t miss a minute of the action
It has been a fantastic summer of sport for Great Britain and, as the Host Airport for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Heathrow has been the first – and last – port of call for 80 per cent of Games family and visitors to the UK.
BAA Chief Executive, Colin Matthews, said:
“This has been a fantastic Games for London and at Heathrow we are proud to have played our part as the host airport. I’d like to thank all our staff and the volunteers that have been working with us during this period. The focus is now on the London 2012 legacy and many of the improvements made at Heathrow will continue to benefit all our passengers for years to come.”
Heathrow is now looking forward to passing the baton to the next Host Airports, Rio de Janeiro and Sochi, and sharing their experiences of the London 2012 Games.
Notes to editors
FTE Awards - The Future Travel Experience Awards celebrate the outstanding efforts of organisations that have gone the extra mile to improve the passenger experience.
· Presented to the winners in the presence of their industry peers at the Gala Evening, the Awards recognise the most innovative, ambitious and effective initiatives and organisations.
· The winners were chosen through consultation with a panel of industry experts.